Solar energy systems are affordable, efficient, and require little to no maintenance. By utilizing a natural energy source to power your building, you can go easy on your wallet and the environment. As a leading Pennsylvania solar installer, JK Mechanical has 35 years of experience helping commercial building owners save money and maintain their building more efficiently.
What Is a Solar PV System?
Solar panels are often referred to as solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. At JK Mechanical, each solar panel system or array that we install is made up of a number of solar panels and inverters. The number of panels that your system needs is determined by your building’s electrical needs and roof space. Depending on the size and requirements of your commercial site, your building may be equipped to hold an individual panel, an array of panels, or more complex paneling that can maintain multiple systems.
Here’s how our systems work:
- PV cells absorb solar energy
- Modules/panels, which consist of many PV cells, share an electrical connection
- The modules produce solar power in the form of Direct Current Electricity (“DC”)
- Inverters then receive the panels’ output and convert the “DC” power to Alternating Current (“AC”) power—“DC” to “AC” conversion is necessary in the U.S.
- Regulators prevent solar modules from being overcharged or under used
Contact JK Mechanical today to find out more about which solar PV system is the best fit for your property. We’ll set you up with an expert who can analyze your building space at no cost and point you in the right direction.
The Benefits of Going Solar
When switching to a solar PV system, you can expect to see a 35%-40% drop in cost for each kWh of energy you produce and use in your building. These savings are what makes the payback for solar installation so simple—in just 9 years, your entire system could be paid off and making you money.
JK Mechanical’s solar systems come with a 25-year performance warranty and a 40+ year lifespan, ensuring that your commercial property will be running off of solar energy for years to come. Other benefits of adding solar panels to your building include:
- Immediately lowered electricity bills
- Increased property value
- Fewer Co2 emissions
- Federal tax credits until 2016
- Complete control over electricity use with Net-Metering
- Ability to profit from creating more energy than you use
- Boosts net savings as solar-generated costs decrease
- Freedom to choose between on & off grid functionality
Both Pennsylvania and Maryland offer incentives to building owners who choose to install solar panel systems. By taking advantage of such offers, you can save even more money on your system.
In order to meet PA Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard Act (2004) goals, Pennsylvania energy companies will pay building owners for excess energy produced by their commercial solar system. However, this buying and selling process is complex. Your hourly kilowatt creation is recorded in solar renewable energy credits (SRECs), which must be carefully managed.
That’s why JK Mechanical covers the process for all of our commercial Pennsylvania solar clients, so that all you have to do is cash the check. We can:
- Take care of the SREC paperwork that must be filed with the state and your energy company
- Monitor your kW generation and figure out the best rate for you
Maryland building owners can also sell their SRECs to state utility companies, but the prices have remained constant at $125.
Tax incentives are also available for both PA and MD commercial solar PV system owners. Through 2016, Pennsylvania businesses can take advantage of a federal tax credit for up to 30% of the cost of their installed system with no cap.
Additionally, solar tax credits are valid through 2016 in Maryland and state grants are able to lower your investment cost by up to 50%. The payback period for a solar PV system installed in Maryland is slightly shorter as well, averaging between six and seven years. Maryland also offers:
- Non-residential Sales Tax Incentive of $4,500
- Maryland Clean Energy Tax Credit of up to $2.5 million over 5 years, available through 12/31/2015
At JK Mechanical, we’re interested in making solar work for you as a commercial property owner. Contact us today to request a quote or call us at 717-842-4221 to speak with a solar installation professional.