How to Go Green at Home
Concerned about the climate? JK Mechanical is proud to be Central PA’s choice for reliable, green energy solutions for 40 years. Each of us can do our part to make choices that are better for our environment and protect the world we live in. Celebrate Earth Day by taking steps to go a little greener at home:
- Single-use plastics such as shopping bags and disposable coffee cups waste resources and remain in landfills for hundreds of years. When you can, choose items that can be reused such as canvas shopping bags, water bottles, and coffee cups.
- Be sure and have your home HVAC system serviced regularly, including regular filter changes, in order to keep your system running as efficiently as possible and prevent wasting energy.
- When it’s time to update your home heating or cooling, consider switching to a Geothermal heat pump. Geothermal HVAC uses the earth’s thermal energy to maintain perfect year-round temperature while reducing electrical costs and our reliance on fossil fuels. According to the EPA, installing a single geothermal unit is the environmental equivalent of planting 750 trees. 2019 is the ideal time to invest in Geothermal heating & cooling, as the Federal 30% Tax Credit on renewable energy installations will be phased out beginning at the end of the year.
- Talk to your service technician about upgrading to a smart thermostat such as Nest Learning Thermostat. Smart thermostat technology learns your temperature preferences and will adjust your HVAC system to save up to 15% and conserve energy without sacrificing comfort.
- Switch to energy-efficient light fixtures and bulbs such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light emitting diodes (LEDs). By replacing your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures or bulbs with models that have earned Energy Star certification, you can save an estimated $75 each year.
- Plant Local: Choose native, non-invasive plants for your home landscaping. Native plants are hardier, require less water, and provide an ideal habitat for local pollinators and wildlife. Learn more about why native plants are important for our environment at MillersvilleNativePlants.org.
- Install solar PV panels to power your home with free, renewable solar energy. The average residential solar system installation offsets 178 tons of carbon dioxide over 30 years, which is equivalent to planting 10 football fields full of trees. Solar installations are also eligible for the 30% Federal Tax Credit if completed before the end of 2019. For a limited time, JK Mechanical is offering a special Go Green discount of up to $2500 when you install
- both Solar and Geothermal for even more savings. Contact us today to request your free in-home assessment and financial payback information.
- Consider upgrading old, energy inefficient appliances such as an old water heater and replacing with an EnergyStar-certified tankless water heater. By heating water only when it’s needed, ENERGY STAR certified tankless water heaters cut water heating expenses, provide continuous hot water delivery, and help eliminate wasted energy.
Comments are closed.
April 22, 2019