Maryland Geothermal Incentives & Tax Credits
Great news for Maryland homebuilders and commercial building owners! You may qualify for a geothermal tax credit!
The Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008 (H.R. 1424) offers:
- One-time tax credit of 30% of the total investment for homeowners who install residential ground loop or ground water geothermal heat pumps
- One-time tax credit of 10% of the total investment for building owners who install a commercial geothermal system
- Tax credits are currently available through December 2016
- Qualifying systems must meet or exceed EnergyStar requirements and be installed after December 31, 2007. MD geothermal system owners can file for the credit by completing the Renewable Energy Credits subsection on their federal tax return forms.
Maryland State Rebate
- Maximum incentive: $3,000 residential, $4,500 non-residential ($90 – $180 per ton)
- Geothermal heat pumps must meet safety and performance standards including: a minimum energy efficiency ratio of 14.0 and a minimum coefficient performance of 3.0
Harford County Tax Credit
- Maximum incentive $2,500 per device; $5,000 per property per fiscal year
- Eligible systems include: geothermal heat pumps, electric and direct-use systems
- Credits issued on a first-come, first-served basis
- Geothermal heat pumps must meet safety and performance standards
To learn more about additional tax incentives that may be available to you, visit www.dsireusa.org.
Contact our geothermal experts for a free analysis and to learn more about the benefits of geothermal.