Energy Savings Tips
January 28th, 2014 by admin
The cold weather is back… Here are a few things you can do to control your energy costs:
- Close vents or radiators in an unoccupied room to save you considerably on heating costs.
- Take advantage of heat from the sun and open shades on the southern and eastern windows during the day. Close these shades when the sun goes down to keep the heat from escaping.
- Install a programmable thermostat that lets you lower the thermostat during periods when no one is home or when people are asleep. You can save as much as 10 percent per year with this device.
- Consider switching off your computer monitor during long periods of non-use. The monitor itself uses more than half the system’s energy and there really is no reason for leaving it on all night if it is not being used.
- Turn off lights any time you aren’t in the room. Installing timers or motion sensors will also reduce the amount of time your lights are on.
If you would like to learn more about how your home uses energy and other ways you can reduce energy costs, we are happy to discuss the benefits of a Home Energy Assessment from one of our Home Performance Experts. 717-464-0111